Expressive Abstracts (3 sessions)
Time & Location
About the Event
Develop a love of abstracts through various mixed media art techniques. This course is developed over three weeks to allow time for practice and exploration between sessions.
Week 1: Mark-Making. Discuss abstract art. Experiment with marks and line work using a variety of tools and supplies. (Think beyond the brush.)
Week 2: Movement and composition. Using simple shapes and pattern, learn how to infuse your art with energy and motion.
Week 3: Color. Discuss using color as a focal point, and how to develop an interesting palette for an abstract. Develop several sketches for the final project. We'll use all our favorite techniques and experiments from the previous sessions to bring the final abstract to life.
• Watercolor, Mixed Media or Bristol Paper (I like 9"x12" cold press 140 lb. Watercolor paper by Canson or Strathmore)
• Acrylic Paint
• Water-soluble pencils, pastels or crayons (I'll be using Inktense Pencils by Derwent and Neocolors)
• Handful of copy paper for sketching and practicing
• Canvas or wood panel for final project (Week 3)
• Water for rinsing brushes
• Paper towel or rag for blotting brushes
- Expressive Abstracts (3wks)$59$590$0